29R - Nothing but blue skies...


Still waiting

Weather: KBJC 182250Z 00000KT 30SM SCT070 25/M04 A3004

So this is just making me tired now. Another pre-solo down (kind of) and no closer to any a completion. Keep in mind I have really only flown in a slight crosswind once. Not that I haven’t been trying to schedule a flight when I would get one, but it just hasn’t worked out yet. I was scheduled again for yesterday at 5. Check the weather, things look good. Wind at 7 KTS but it’s straight down the runway. That works. Check ATIS before we start to taxi and the winds are calm. Even better. Get in the air, fly the pattern, kind of nervous but things are good. Flying final I feel a bit of a crosswind so I have to crab a bit but not much. Straighten back out with a few hundred yards to go. Right as cross over the top of the numbers, crosswind gust, I set the pane down and side load it pretty good. Crap. Not good.

We takeoff again and right as we do the tower comes on frequency and announces the latest weather. Of course the winds are now out of student range. So basically, we just practiced a few times in the pattern and some crosswind landings. The pre-solo part was basically instantly over. It was really good practice and I’m glad I finally got to fly in those conditions. But seriously, I need to get past this pre-solo. Basically right after I’m done I have the Stage 1 check. I know I can’t control the weather, but if I can get a flight scheduled in the morning when the winds are usually calm, I would be just fine. So you may not hear much until I pass this damn pre-solo. Could be months. I’ll let you know.

2 comments:

  1. Rob Googs said...

    It'll happen, and then you'll move on, and eventually you'll even start nailing the crosswind landings. Don't get too stressed out about the delays; as you said, you can't control the wx. And if you stress out about the delays, you'll just be more a bundle of nerves when you finally do the Stage I checkride! Relax and have fun. I know it's easier said than done, but trust me.

    Have FUN!  

  2. Anonymous said...

    Solo is definitely a milestone and one it sounds like you well prepared for. I know exactly how you feel. I took my intital check-ride on two flights a week apart due to some killer 4 mile vis in haze.  


 

No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.